The origin of Union State Bank dates all
the way back to 1928 in Florence, Texas when three banks;
Florence State Bank, Brigg's State Bank, and Farmer's State Bank
merged in an effort to weather the Great Depression. This union
created a small town bank that not only survived, it thrived for
Florence State Bank (circa
Originally, Union State Bank
served the rural areas surrounding the town of Florence.
However, the 1990's brought about unprecedented growth that
resulted in the opening of four new branches; Killeen in 1990,
Georgetown in 1993, Round Rock in 1997, Liberty Hill in
1997 and Harker Heights in 2006. Amid the rapid growth and development of Bell and
Williamson Counties, Union State Bank evolved into a full
service financial institution that serves both urban and rural
In September of 1955, Roy J.
Smith, President of First National Bank in Killeen, and
B. M. "Bernie" Beck acquired Union
State Bank. Mr. Beck bought controlling interest of the bank in
1972. Since then, the B. M. "Bernie" Beck family has owned the
majority interest in Union State Bank and continues to be key
figures in the day to day operations and the direction of the
bank. Eula "Sis" Beck serves as the Chairwoman of the Board
while her daughter, Coleen Beck, serves as President and, CEO,
and Vice-Chairwoman of the Board.